- Abandon [Verb] (əˈbandən)
- to leave completely and finally; forsake utterly; desert: to abandon one's farm; to abandon a child; to abandon a sinking ship.
- to give up; discontinue; withdraw from: to abandon a research project; to abandon hopes for a stage career.
- to give up the control of: to abandon a city to an enemy army.
- to yield (oneself) without restraint or moderation; give (oneself) over to natural impulses, usually without self-control: to abandon oneself to grief.
- Law. to cast away, leave, or desert, as property or a child.
- Insurance. to relinquish (insured property) to the underwriter in case of partial loss, thus enabling the insured to claim a total loss.
- Obsolete. to banish.
- Abandon [Noun] (əˈbandən)
- a complete surrender to natural impulses without restraint or moderation; freedom from inhibition or conventionality: to dance with reckless abandon.
late Middle English
|The letter A|