verb (used without object)
1. to bring forth a fetus from the uterus before the fetus is viable; miscarry.
2. to remain in an undeveloped state; develop incompletely.
3. to stop at a premature stage.
4. Military. to fail to accomplish a purpose or mission for any reason other than enemy action.
5. Rocketry. (of a missile) to stop before the scheduled flight is completed.
verb (used with object)
6. to cause to bring forth (a fetus) from the uterus before the fetus is viable; to miscarry.
7. to cancel the pregnancy of (a pregnant woman); to be delivered of a nonviable fetus.
8. to cause to stop or end at an early or premature stage.
9. to terminate before completion.
10. to put down or quell in the early stages.
11. a missile, rocket, etc., that has aborted.
1570-80; < Latin abortus miscarried (past participle of aborīrī to disappear, miscarry) equivalent to ab- ab- + -or- come into being + -tus past participle suffix