noun, plural cities.
- a large or important town.
- (in the U.S.) an incorporated municipality, usually governed by a mayor and a board of aldermen or councilmen.
- the inhabitants of a city collectively:
The entire city is mourning his death.
- (in Canada) a municipality of high rank, usually based on population.
- (in Great Britain) a borough, usually the seat of a bishop, upon which the dignity of the title has been conferred by the crown.
- the City.
- the major metropolitan center of a region; downtown:
I'm going to the City to buy clothes and see a show.
- the commercial and financial area of London, England.
- a city-state.
Origin of city
- cityless, adjective
- citylike, adjective
- intercity, adjective
- minicity, noun, plural minicities.
- outcity, noun, plural outcities.
1. See community.