verb (used without object)
1. to burst forth; to vent:
- Lava erupted from the volcano.
2. to eject something violently, especially from a volcano or geyser.
3. to break out of a confined state, usually in a violent manner.
4. to break out in a rash.
5. (teeth) to emerge from surrounding tissues and become visible in the mouth.
verb (used with object)
6. see def 1.
7. see def 2.
1650-60; < Latin ēruptus burst forth, broken out (past participle of ērumpere), equivalent to ē- e-1+ ruptus, past participle of rumpere to break, rupture
1. blow up, break out.
2. spew, belch, emit, jet, hurl.